Ingredients For Making Fish Balls:
1 Spanish Mackeral (about 600gm)
Solution A: 1 tbsp water + 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp salt
a dash of pepper
1 tbsp cornflour
1. Clean fish, wipe dry and fillet with a sharp knife.
2. Scrape out the flesh from the skin and bones with a metal spoon.
3. Place the fish flesh on a wooden chopping board. Pound the fish flesh with the back of a chopper until very fine, adding salt Solution A, a little at a time.
4. Place the fish paste in a big bowl, stir in one direction until very sticky, adding Solution B while stirring.
5. Take handfuls of the fish paste and throw it against the sides of the bowl till the paste becomes springy.
6. Grease hands and fingers with a little oil. Take a lump of fish paste and gently squeeze paste out between thumb and index finger to form small balls.
7. Scoop out the balls of fish paste with a spoon and drop them into a bowl of water salted with 1 tsp salt. Leave the fish balls to soak in the salt water for 1/2 hour.
Ingredients For Soup:
Bones and skin of fish
1 small head Iceberg lettuce
1 stalk spring onion, shredded
1 tbps preserved radish ‘tong choi’
1 tsp salt
2 tsp light soya sauce
1. Pan-fry the fish bones and skin till golden brown.
2. Bring 1500ml water to a boil, add the fried fish bones and skin and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
3. Strain the fish stock into a pot and bring to a boil. When boiling, add the fish balls and cook over a slow fire till they float to the top. Add seasoning to taste.
4. Add ‘tong choi’ and shredded lettuce. Sprinkle with shredded spring onions.
You may also like: