600g glutinous rice
300ml thick coconut milk
150ml thin coconut milk
300g gula melaka
6 pandan leaves
a pinch of salt
1. Wash the glutinous rice in several changes of water and soak overnight.
2. Spread the drained glutinous rice in a steaming tray and steam the rice for 30 minutes. Add 250ml water to the steamed rice and mix well. Add the pandan leaves and steam for a further 30 minutes. Gently fluff up rice and set aside.
3. Bring the thin coconut milk, chopped gula melaka, sugar and pandan leaves to a boil. Stir continuously over a low heat till the sugar dissolves. Add in the thick coconut milk, stir well and strain solution.
4. Add the steamed rice. Cook over a low flame, stirring continuously till mixture thickens.
5. Spread the cooked wajik on a tray lined with banana leaves. Press down firmly and smoothen the surface. Cool till it hardens slightly before cutting.