300g pumpkin, peeled & cut into cubes
600g yam, peeled and sliced
3 shallots, minced
200g gingko nuts, shelled
few pandan leaves
1. Place shelled gingko nuts in a pot with some water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain and remove skin and pith. Rinse and place the gingko nuts in a pot and add just enough water to cover nuts and boil for 30 minutes. Add 50g sugar and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes till nuts are shiny.
2. Mix pumpkin cubes with 50g sugar and steam for 20 minutes until soft.
3. Heat 150ml oil in saucepan and fry the minced shallots till golden brown.
4. Steam sliced yam with the pandan leaves for 30 minutes until yam is soft. Discard pandan leaves.
5. Mash the hot yam with the 150g sugar. Add the water and knead till a fine paste.
6. Heat the shallot oil in a non-stick pan, add the yam paste and stir continuously for about 20 minutes.
7. Transfer yam paste to a large serving bowl, garnish with gingko nuts and pumpkin cubes and steam for 20 minutes.