Fresh round yellow noodles or white round rice noodles (Lai Fun-see 2nd pic above)
5 hard boiled eggs
10 pieces of fried tofu (tau kuah), cut into triangles
10 pieces of small fried tofu puffs
10 pieces of vege fish tofu cut into halves
1 packet of Hokio brand white Bunapi mushroom or the brown
bunashimeji mushroom (may also use other types of mushrooms
such as seafood mushroom, king oyster mushroom)
2-3 stalks of lemongrass
2 Vege chicken patties – cut into slices
2 cans of coconut cream
2 regular red onions or large shallots (chopped finely)
4-6 dried chillies (depending on level of spiciness needed)
3-4 stems of orange turmeric ginger (peeled and chopped finely)
1 stem of galangal ginger (peeled and chopped finely)
[Use food processor to chop onions, turmeric ginger, galangal ginger
and dried red chillies into a paste]
Vietnamese coriander leaves – Rau Rum
(wash and split the leaves into 2 portions – one portion to be added
to flavor the gravy and the other portion to be chopped and served as
1 packet of bean sprouts (washed, drained & pre-cooked)
Ingredients for gravy:
2 tbsp sesame oil
Laksa paste (see above)
6 cups of water
2 cans of coconut cream (Savoy brand is best)
Vegetable or mushroom seasoning to taste
- 1. Use a 4.75 qt. covered dutch oven.
- Pound the lemon grass stalks slightly to release the flavors and cut into halves
- Heat sesame oil and sauté the laksa paste with the lemon grass until fragrant
- Next, sauté the mushrooms, then add the water, Vietnamese coriander leaves (Rau Rum) and flavor with mushroom seasoning and stir. Then add the coconut cream and salt to taste.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the pot – tofu puffs, tau kuah, vege fish tofu, vege chicken and hard boiled eggs – and stir.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until all ingredients are integrated with the sauce.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare the yellow or rice noodles, boil in hot water until soft and drained.
- To serve, plate the hot and soft noodles in a bowl. Add in the bean sprouts, then pour the Laksa gravy with the ingredients over the noodles. You may remove the hard boiled eggs and slice them and serve over the noodles. Then garnish with chopped Vietnamese coriander leaves (Rau Rum) on top and serve.
Recipe by Elizabeth Quintal
This is the vegetarian style recipe. You can prepare the regular seafood version using the following:
- Use shrimp and/or chicken as added ingredients besides soy products
- For the Laksa paste, you can add shrimp paste to flavor the gravy
- For seasoning, use shrimp or chicken bouillon of your choice.