Fresh flat wide rice noodles, cut into squares (as shown in picture above)
5 hard boiled eggs (shelled & halfed)
10 pieces tau kuah, cut into triangles
10 pieces of small fried tofu puffs
10 pieces of vege fish tofu cut into halfs
5-6 pieces of Chinese mushrooms (wash, boil to soften and cut into quarters)
5-6 small red potatoes (wash, peel and cut into halfs)
Fried onions as garnish
1 packet of bean sprouts (washed, drained & pre-cooked)
Ingredients for gravy:
2 tbsp sesame oil
4-5 cloves garlic (thinly sliced, not chopped)
6 cups of water
LKK Chinese marinade (1/2 – 2/3 cup to taste)
LKK Selected Five Spices marinade (1/4 cup to taste)
1-2 tbsp Mushroom flavored dark soy sauce to taste and for color
3-4 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
Vegetable or mushroom seasoning to taste
1. Use a 4.75 qt. covered dutch oven. Heat sesame oil and sauté the sliced garlic, cinnamon sticks and star anise.
2. Next, sauté the mushrooms, then add the water and flavor with the Chinese marinade and Five spice marinade and stir. Then add mushroom seasoning to taste
3. Add the remaining ingredients into the pot – tofu puffs, tau kuah, vege fish tofu, potatoes and hard boiled eggs – and stir.
4. For color, add mushroom flavored dark soy sauce to taste.
5. Bring to a boil and then simmer for until potatoes are tender and all ingredients are integrated with the sauce.
6. While sauce is simmering, cut the unsliced flat rice noodles into huge squares and then boil in hot water until soft and drained.
7. To serve, plate the hot and soft flat rice noodle squares in a bowl. Add in the bean sprouts, then pour the sauce with the ingredients over the noodles. Garnish with the fried onions and serve.
Recipe by Elizabeth Quintal
For a more intense seafood type flavor, you can use special types of organic mushroom such as seafood mushroom, oyster mushroom or the organic Hokio brand mushrooms:
- Brown – bunashimeji mushroom
- White – Bunapi mushroom
You may also like: