- 1 packet of rice vermicelli (pre-soak in water for 30 minutes-1 hour, then scald w/boiling water & drain)
- 1 packet of bean sprouts (washed, drained & pre-cooked)
- 5 hard boiled eggs (shelled & quartered)
- 2 stalks koo chai (chives), cut into small pieces
- 10 pieces tau kuah, cut into small pieces (fry with shallots & pinch of salt)
Ingredients for gravy:
2 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
8 tbsp tao cheo (preserved soy beans)
5 cloves garlic (chopped)
10 shallots, slice thinly
8 cups of water infused w/lemon grass
1 tomato sliced into quarters
- Chop the lemon grass into small pieces and boil them in water until fragrant; set aside 3-4
large bowls to be used as the mee siam gravy base
- Wash tao cheo, drain and pound to a paste
- Fry sliced shallots in olive/sesame oil and then add in the chopped garlic and tao cheo paste.
Fry until fragrant.
- Add in the lemon grass water. Add the mushroom seasoning. Simmer for half an hour.
- Add in the tomato and stir. Then add fresh lime juice and salt to taste.
- To serve – Put some rice vermicelli into a serving bowl and spoon some mee siam gravy over
it. Garnish with sliced hard boiled eggs, some chives/cilantro, tau geh and tau kuah. Have
some sliced lime on the side as garnishment and add to taste.
You may also like: